Allah (SWT) sent guidance to mankind through His Prophets and Holy Books that revealed on them. Muslims are expected to follow the guidelines to the best of their abilities in order to live a blessed life. Religion Islam defines sin as an act which goes against the teachings of Almighty Allah.
Sins are of two types: major sins and minor sins. Major sins are those that are forbidden by Allah Almighty in His Glorious Book Holy Quran and by the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in his sayings. For those who avoid the major sins, Allah (SWT) promises that their minor sins will be pardoned and they will be admitted to Paradise. Allah (SWT) says in the Noble Quran: “If you avoid the great sins which you are forbidden to do, We shall remit from you your (small) sins, and admit you to a Noble Entrance (i.e. Paradise).” (Quran, 4:31)
Among the major sins are the following seven major and destructive sins, which are mentioned in the following narration of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW): “Avoid the seven destroyers.” They said: “O Allah’s Messenger! And what are they?” He replied: “Committing Shirk with Allah, magic, to kill someone that Allah has prohibited – except for just cause – consuming Riba (Usury), consuming the wealth or property of an orphan, to flee on the day of the march (to battle), and to slander the chaste, unaware, believing women.” (Bukhari)
7 Destructive Sins in Islam
The seven major and destructive sins are mentioned below that we all should know about in order to avoid them:
- Shirk (Polytheism): Shirk or polytheism means referring a partner of Allah (SWT) in Lordship, worship or in His names and attributes. Shirk is one of the destructive sins that Allah Almighty mentioned in the Holy Quran: “Verily, Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases.”(Quran, 4:48)
- Magic (Sihr): The second major and destructive sin is practicing magic, which is completely prohibited in Islam. Magic is also known as “Sihr” in Islamic terminology it applies to everything the cause of which is hidden, and everything that may be imagined as being other than what it is and it takes place by way of hypocrisy. Allah Almighty says in the Noble Quran: “So when they threw, they bewitched the eyes of the people” (Quran, 7:116). The verse of the Holy Quran clearly indicates that the magicians deceived the eyes of the people and made them think that the trick was real when it was only an illusion. So, magic with all its types and kinds are greater sins.
- Taking a life of someone unjustly: Murdering or killing anyone unjustly is a greater sin, which causes chaos, violence, and disorder in every society. The divine religion of Islam preserves the blood of the Muslims and protects our societies from such violence and chaos. Islam forbids us from shading blood of innocent people. In the Holy Quran Allah (SWT) says “…. Whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land – it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one – it is as if he had saved mankind entirely…” (Quran, 5:32)
- Consuming Riba: Riba means an increase over specific types of wealth and items. Usury is one of the greatest sins because Allah and His Messenger Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) considered it as one of the destructive sins. Allah Almighty mentioned in the Holy Quran: “Whereas Allah has permitted trading and forbidden Riba (usury).”(Quran, 2:275)
- Consuming the wealth of an Orphan: Religion Islam strongly cared for orphan’s wealth and property. It assigned for him someone to be his guardian, who is responsible for his growing up, educating him and taking care of his wealth and property. Consuming the wealth of an orphan unjustly is forbidden and unlawful in the sight of Allah Almighty. Allah (SWT) warned us from such greatest sin by saying in the Holy Quran in these words: “Verily, those who unjustly eat up the property of orphans, they eat up only a fire into their bellies, and they will be burnt in the blazing Fire!”(Quran, 4:10)
- Fleeing from the Battlefield: Another major sin is fleeing from the battlefield at the time of war. Almighty Allah and His beloved Messenger Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) strongly warned those who flee from the battlefield and threatened them with the Fire. Allah (SWT) mentioned in the Noble Quran: “O you who have believed, when you meet those who disbelieve advancing [for battle], do not turn to them your backs [in flight]. And whoever turns his back to them on such a day…has certainly returned with anger [upon him] from Allah, and his refuge is Hell – and wretched is the destination.” (Quran, 8:15-16)
- Accusing chaste women of Adultery: Whosoever unjustly accuses a chaste free woman of committing illegal intercourse is cursed both in this world and in the Hereafter and deserves severe suffering. Allah (SWT) says in the Holy Quran: “And those who accuse chaste women and then do not produce four witnesses – lash them with eighty lashes and do not accept from them testimony ever after. And those are the defiantly disobedient,” “Except for those who repent thereafter and reform, for indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.” (Quran, 24:4-5)
Avoiding the above-mentioned destructive sins is a great act that every believer should commit to. To avoid these major sins, Muslims need to study carefully each of these destructive sins to see if one might be doing them unexpectedly and try to take all means to avoid them accordingly.