Sunnah is the way of life prescribed by our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) for Muslims in order to live a better life. Sunnah is based on the teachings of Islam and interpretations of the Quran that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) practiced in His life. It is necessary for all Muslims around the world to follow the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in every matter of life.
Today in this article we will discuss the Sunnah of drinking water which is not just for Muslims it is for all people around the world without the distinction of Muslims or non-Muslims.
Sunnah of Drinking Water
Follow the below-mentioned steps while drinking water according to the Islamic Sunnah.
- First of all, take a clean glass and fill it with water according to your requirement. Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said in hadith: “Do not drink directly from a water pitcher or any water container.” (Bukhari)
- Then recite “بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ” (In the name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, and the Especially Merciful) before drinking water. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: ”When commencing to drink first recite Bismillah” (Tirmidhi). By this act, we actually praise The Almighty Allah who gave us water to drink without which nobody can survive on earth.
- We should always drink water with the right hand just like most of the other daily routine works are said to be performed with the right hand. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “Never eat and drink with the left hand because Shaytaan (Satan) eats with the left hand.” (Muslim)
- Sit down before drinking water. No matter you are in hurry for something, but that should not stop you from taking a moment to sit down and drink water in a healthy way. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “Sit down and drink” (Muslim). Science also proved that drinking water whilst standing or walking can cause Gastrointestinal Tract (GIT) damage, kidney damage, arthritis, nerve tension, and other disorders.
- Drink water while taking three breathing pauses. It is prohibited to drink water in a single gulp as our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “Do not drink water only in one breath, but drink it in two or three breaths.”
- Do not blow or exhale your breath into the glass while drinking water. This is one of the most important etiquettes of drinking water. Abdullah Bin Abbas (RA) narrated that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “Do not blow from your mouth into food and water.” (Tibrani)
- Recite “الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ” [(All) praise is (due) to Allah] after drinking water.
May Almighty Allah give us the ability to practice the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in every matter of life! Ameen