Holy Quran is the heavenly book of Allah (SWT) revealed on last Prophet Muhammad (SAW). The Noble Quran is the 4th sacred book, the greatest gift of Allah Almighty to mankind. The Holy Quran is a form of guidance for all mankind and its generations to come till the Day of Judgment. By developing an affiliation with Quran, a Muslim is able to understand the instructions from Allah Almighty and find the right path to live life and be among those who are under the blessings of Allah Almighty in this world and in the hereafter. The Quran contains the word from Allah. It shares all the information that is required to become a true believer.
The Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) emphasized reading the Holy Quran daily. It is a blessing from Allah (SWT) that we can absorb the Quran in our hearts by memorizing it with proper understanding. Quran memorization is a difficult task but one that has been made easy upon us by Allah Almighty. Memorizing the chapters of the Quran has very high rewards for the Muslims. AS stated by our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) in His hadith: “The best among you (Muslims) are those who learn the Quran and teach it (to others).” (Muslim)
Quran Memorization Tips and Techniques
Quran memorization is both a spiritual and physical journey. There are different ways adopted by Muslims to memorize Quran. To increase the memorizing power, some tips and techniques are mentioned below:
- Intention: The first thing important thing is you have to pay attention to is your intention. Make sure that the intention you are making is only for the sake of Allah, to seek His Pleasure and Mercy. It is not to show off in front of others that you have memorized Quran a lot. You need to sincerely believe that Quran is the word of Allah, and your attempt of memorizing it is nothing but an effort to seek blessings of Allah Almighty. When you have such sincere intentions, your heart keeps you motivated towards the efforts required for memorization of the Quran.
- Routine: Timing is a very important factor when memorizing Quran. Select a specific time of the day and allocate it for memorizing Quran. Figure out a time slot when you are most productive and attentive for memorizing Quran. The best suitable time for memorizing is the early morning after Fajr prayer. At that time a person’s mind and body are both fresh and receptive, mind stores the new information easily.
- Adopt Positive Methods: Don’t be in a hurry while memorizing Quran start with shorter Surahs. Must be consistent in Quran memorization. Repeat a verse as many times as possible. Read aloud too. When you read a verse from the Quran, close it and recite it to see if you still remember. Recite your newly learned verses in Salah; it is the best chance of revision. You have to be consistent with your approach and take new and revise the old lessons regularly. The more consistent you are the better will you memorize and move forward in your Quran lessons.
- Familiarity: Start Quran memorization at the same time, at the same place and use the same Mushaf every day. The using of the same Mushaf ensures that the memorization is assisted with pictorial memory, thus helping you in better memorization of the Quran.
- Repetition: There is no magic trick for memorization of Quran, all you have to do in order to memorize it is keep on repeating your lesson, and once you move to the next lesson, memorize it along with the previous lesson. There is no shortcut in memorization you have to work hard and keep on repeating your lessons every day.
- Listen to Quran Recitation: Listening to the different recitation of Quran also helps in memorizing its verses. Repeatedly listening to the same ayahs will engrave in your mind and you will remember them easily. Pick an audio of Quran recitation by a Qari listen to it during the day or before going to sleep. In this way, you’ll be familiarized with the verses and it will enhance your capability to memorize the Quran.
- Recite to Others: It is very common for one to make mistakes while memorizing a Surah, without realizing. Have a companion or teacher who can listen to your recitation. This companion should be a precise memorizer himself will listen to your memorized lessons and pick out mistakes.
- Recitation in Prayers: Recite daily in your salah what you have memorized. If you forget one portion, you will immediately rush towards the Quran and correct your mistake and you will never do this mistake again. This will help you in performing prayer and memorizing the Quran at the same time.
- Teach Others: Teach others what you have memorized; it is the best way to lock it up for the long term in your memory.
- Make Dua: Make Duafor remembrance and Allah’s blessings. There is a Dua at the end of every Quran recite it every time before ending your Quran sessions.