The word Dua
meaning is “invocation” or “supplication”. In Islamic terminology Dua is the
act of supplication. It is calling out to Allah, or having conversation
with Allah. Dua makes a connection between the creator and the creation. It is
one of the most powerful and effective acts of worship a human being can engage
in. Dua has been called the weapon of the believer. There are
certain things to follow for the acceptance of Dua which are called Manners.
Manners of Making Dua:
- The one who is making Dua must have believe in tawheed and sincerity towards Allah alone while making Dua. Dua is an act of worship directing, one’s worship to other than Allah alone is an act of major shirk. As said in Quran:
اِيَّاكَ نَعۡبُدُ وَاِيَّاكَ نَسۡتَعِيۡنُؕ
You [alone] do we worship, and to You [alone] do we turn for help (Quran 1:5)
وَمَآ أُمِرُوٓاْ إِلَّا لِيَعۡبُدُواْ ٱللَّهَ مُخۡلِصِينَ لَهُ ٱلدِّينَ حُنَفَآءَ وَيُقِيمُواْ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ وَيُؤۡتُواْ ٱلزَّكَوٰةَۚ وَذَٲلِكَ دِينُ ٱلۡقَيِّمَةِ
And they were commanded not, but that they should worship Allah, and worship none but Him Alone (abstaining from ascribing partners to Him), and perform As-Salat and give Zakat and that is the right religion. [Quran 98:5]
2. Do praise Allah during Dua with his beautiful names. As said in Quran:
وَلِلّٰهِ الۡاَسۡمَآءُ الۡحُسۡنٰى فَادۡعُوۡهُ بِهَا وَذَرُوا الَّذِيۡنَ يُلۡحِدُوۡنَ فِىۡۤ اَسۡمَآٮِٕهٖ ؕ سَيُجۡزَوۡنَ مَا كَانُوۡا يَعۡمَلُوۡنَ
And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allah, so call
on Him by them, and leave the company of those who believe or deny (or utter
impious speech against) His Names. They will be requited for what they used to
do [Quran 7:180]
Don’t be so quick while making Dua. As Prophet (PBUH) said
that I Saw a man making Dua “O Allah, forgive me and have mercy on me.” So, the
Prophet (PBUH) said
“You were hasty. When
you pray, praise Allah, ask Allah to exalt my mention, then ask
Ibn Mas’ud(RA) said, ‘Allah does not accept Dua from the conceited, the one who flaunts and the one who is not serious, (He accepts only) from a person who praises and asks from his heart.’
3. Repent of all the previous sins before offering Dua and sincerely ask for Allah’s forgiveness.
4. One of the most essential things needed for the acceptance of the Dua is having tawakkul in the Dua. The Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:
“Ask Allah with certainty that He
will answer your prayers, and know that Allah will not accept the supplication
from an absent heart.” (at‐Tirmidhi).
For the acceptance of the Dua you must know that what you are asking for
and do have full confidence on praying for it. Dua should be like a child praying
and crying until the Dua is accepted. Abu Hurayrah reported that the
Prophet (may Allah praise him) said:
“The person’s supplication will be answered unless he asks for sin or severing the ties of kinship, except if the person is hasty.”
5. Make sure that your body and cloths are clean before you make dua because Allah loves cleanliness.
6. It is more honored to face Qibla and bend on your knees during dua because a person is closest to Almighty Allah in the state of prostration, as the Holy Prophet (PBUH) said:
“أَقْرَبُ مَا يَكُونُ الْعَبْدُ مِنْ رَبِّهِ وَهُوَ سَاجِدٌ فَأَكْثِرُوا الدُّعَاءَ”
“The bondman becomes nearest to his Rab when he is in prostration. So, increase supplications while prostrating” [Sahih Muslim 482]
7. Reciting Darood Pak at the start and end of the dua makes dua more powerful and Darood Pak is always accepted in the court of Allah Almighty.
“Indeed, the supplication stops between the heavens and the earth. Nothing of it is raised up until you send Darood upon your Prophet” (Tirmidhi).
8. Allah Almighty knows every thing so do pray with clean and pure heart as he knows you niyah about what you are supplementing for. Niyah is very important for the acceptance of dua.
May Allah Almighty forgive our sins
and accept our dua. Ameen