Allah Almighty is the Creator of this world. From 99 Names of Allah, one of His Name is Ar-Razzaq which means The Provider/The Sustainer. Allah is the One who provides everything we need to live in this world. These things that we required for the living are called Rizq generally meaning Provisions. Allah provides sustenance to all of humankind, whether they are believers or non-believers, and all of His creations including animals and plants. Allah Almighty says in Quran: “And there is no creature on earth but that upon Allah is its provision, and He knows its place of dwelling and place of storage. All is in a clear register.” (Quran, 11:6)
From above verse, we conclude that Allah took the responsibility of all humankind including animals and plants to provide Rizq for living purpose in this world.
What is Rizq?
When we refer to Rizq, many people assume it is just money. But in actual Rizq is what benefits you. So it can be money, religion and any other material thing in this world. Rizq encloses wealth, family ties, spirituality, our faith, intellect, health and everything else that is beneficial to us and can help us to fulfill our duties and obligations to serve and obey Allah, and care for this earth. Hadith related to Rizq, narrated by Ibnu Hibban where the Prophet (SAW) said: “A soul will not die until it gets all of the provision that has been apportioned for it”.
Methods of Increasing Rizq in Halal Way
No doubt, we all know that Allah has already decided our sustenance/Rizq still there are some Halal ways through which we can increase our wealth. Some of them we are going to discuss in this article.
- Repentance from Sins (Tawbah): We should seek forgiveness of our sins from Allah (SWT) every day by heart, not just with tongue. There are many people who think their poverty is not decreasing except it increasing they are the one who seeks forgiveness by tongue but not with heart. Allah Almighty says in Quran: “Ask forgiveness from your Lord, verily, He is Oft-Forgiving; He will send rain to you in abundance. And give you increase in wealth and children, and bestow on you gardens and bestow on you rivers” (Quran, 71:10-12). So when you face a loss in your business or are worried about the job, try saying Astaghfirullah as much as you can. We should always seek forgiveness of our sins from Allah Almighty by heart and He will surely be going to forgive us, help us and will remove our difficulties.
- Taqwa (Piety) and Obedience to Allah: Allah has promised in the Holy Quran that whosoever fears Allah, He will provide him with sources which the person has never even imagined. So, as a true believer we must observe Taqwa, should obedient to Allah Almighty, and perform our duties in a righteous way. Allah says in Quran: “And if the people of the towns had believed and had the Taqwa (piety), certainly, We should have opened for them blessings from the heaven and the earth, but they belied (the Messengers). So We took them (with punishment) for what they used to earn (polytheism and crimes)” (Quran 7:96). The Prophet (PBUH) said,“Verily when the unbeliever performs a good deed he is given a taste of its reward in the world. As for the believer, Allah will store his good deeds for him in the Hereafter and provide his sustenance in the world due to his obedience.”(Sahih Muslim)
- Keeping Ties of Kinship: We should be careful while dealing with family. Severing the family ties is most disliked by Allah. Our immediate family that is brothers, sisters, uncle, aunt, parents has some rights upon us and if we want to increase our provision we must behave with them nicely. If we want success in our life we should do those deeds that Allah (SWT) like the most. Abu Huraira narrated that the Prophet (SAW) said: “And he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should unite his ties of kinship”(Sahih Bukhari). Anas ibn Malik also narrated that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: “Whoever loves that he would be granted more sustenance and that his lifespan would be prolonged, then he should unite his ties of kinship” (Al-Bukhari)
- Giving Charity (Sadaqah): When we give charity (Sadaqah), it seems like our wealth has decreased possibly. But there is some hidden reward behind this and Allah promises to replace whatever we give in His way whether in this world or the Hereafter. Allah says in Quran: “And whatsoever you spend of anything (in Allah’s cause), He will replace it. And He is the best of providers”(Quran, 34: 39). Abu-Huraira narrated that The Prophet (SAW) said: “Every day two angels come down from Heaven and one of them prays: “O Allah! Compensate every person who spends in Your Cause.” The other (angel) prays: “O Allah! Spoil the properties of every miser” (Bukhari). So we should try to give in Allah’s cause as many as we can He is definitely going to give us back in multiple times. Abu Hurairah said that the Prophet (SAW) said: “Allah has said: ‘O Son of Adam! Spend I will spend on you!” (Sahih Muslim).
- Worship (Ibaadah): Don’t forget to pray Salah on time and observe the obligatory deeds no matter how much you are busy with your daily life routine. We should not be from those who pray speedily; instead, take out time from your busy schedule to worship (Ibaadah) otherwise Allah will never remove poverty from us. Allah says in Quran: “Indeed, those who recite the Book of Allah and establish prayer and spend [in His cause] out of what We have provided them, secretly and publicly, [can] expect a profit that will never perish” (Quran, 35:29). Abu Hurairah narrated that the Prophet (SAW) said, “Allah says, O son of Adam! Take time out to constantly worship me, I will fill your heart with contentment, and remove your poverty, and if you do not do so. I will make your hands constantly occupied but I will not remove your poverty.” (Tirmidhi)
- Reliance upon Allah (Tawakkul): Anas bin Malik said: “A man said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, should I tie it (the camel) and make Tawakkul, or let it go free and make Tawakkul?’He (SAW) said: “Tie it and make Tawakkul ‘” (At-Tirmidhi). Allah Almighty said in Holy Quran: “And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, and then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things” (Surah Al-Talq, Verse 2-3).
- Making Dua: Dua is the only thing that can change our destiny and if Allah wills He may provide us more when we supplicate often. Allah loves those who offer supplications and ask Him for everything even it is a shoelace. So we can say Dua is the secret weapon of the believer. Our beloved Prophet (SAW) said: “Ask Allah for everything, even the lace of your shoes. If Allah does not provide, it will never be available.” (Tirmidhi)
- Gratitude and Praising Allah: Allah (SWT) says in Quran: “And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, ‘If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe.‘” (Quran, 14: 7). We should always thankful to Almighty because everything we have in this world is just because of Him. The best way to thank Him is saying “Alhamdulillah”.
- Being Truthful in One’s Dealings: One must be truthful in his dealings and let people know of any defects in some item. If he finds some defect, he must be honest enough to let the buyer know about it. The Prophet (SAW) said: “The two parties of a transaction have the right (to annul the contract) as long as they do not separate (from each other). So, if they were truthful (to one another), and honest in explaining (the defects of an item), then they will be blessed in their transaction. But, if they lied, and hid (the defects of an item) then the blessings of their transaction are destroyed” (Muslim).
- Having Children: Allah says in Holy Quran: “And do not kill your children for fear of poverty. We (Allah) provide for them and for you. Indeed, the killing of them is a great sin” (Quran, 17:31). Don’t kill your children due to poverty as we should trust on Allah He is The Provider of all humankind.
We must remember that sustenance is something granted to us by Allah. He is the only one who may provide us with abundance and if He wishes to provide us there is none who can stop him. But for that, we must observe Astaghfaar, should say Alhamdulillah for even the little thing we have in our lives, leave the major sins, give charity as much as we can, pray on time and take out time to worship Allah. By doing these things we can earn and increase our Rizq (Provision) in the Halal way. May Allah give us the strength to earn Rizq in the Halal way! Ameen