Sneezing is a reflex mechanism to get rid of dust particles, smoke or allergens in the nose which is irritating. Sneezing is a miracle of Allah Almighty which we see every day. Sneezing is a natural mechanism also mercy and grace of Allah (SWT). It relieves us from discomfort, and we should thank Allah Almighty for it. When you sneeze always say “Alhamdulillah” by doing this you are reviving a Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
Among Muslims, it is common practice to say “Alhamdulillah” after sneezing. Alhamdulillah means “praise to be Allah”. We Muslims thanks Allah (SWT) after sneezing, the reason is that when we sneeze we are being protected from various diseases and also during the process of sneezing an earthquake occur in our body and our heart skips a beat, which is indeed a surprising fact but our heart doesn’t stop working completely and we are alive.
Allah (SWT) dislikes the act of yawning because at that time Shaytaan laughs at us, but Allah Almighty likes the act of sneezing because after sneezing we say “Alhamdulillah” thanks to Him. Moreover, it is the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) to say “Alhamdulillah” after sneezing. It is a hadith that one should say “Alhamdulillah” after sneezing and the one who is listening should say “Yar-HamukAllah” that means “May Allah have His mercy on you.”
Narrated Abu Hurairah (RA): Allah’s Messenger (PBUH) said: “If anyone of you sneezes, he (she) should say”Alhamdulillah” (Praise be to Allah) and his brother or his companion (i.e. one who is with him/her) should say ‘’Yarhamuk Allah’’ (May Allah have mercy on you). When the latter says ‘’Yarhamuk Allah,” the former should say ‘’Yahdikumullah, wa yuslihu balakum’’ (May Allah guide you and set your affairs straight).” (Bukhari)
There is another Sunnah that we should revive while sneezing; it’s covering your mouth. It is stated in hadith that: “Whenever the Messenger of Allah (SAW) sneezed, He (PBUH) would cover his mouth with his hand or a piece of cloth, suppressing the sound this way.” (Abu Dawud)
Medically Proven Reasons behind Saying “Alhamdulillah” After Sneezing
A sneeze keeps us safe from all sorts of infections and germs. Below mentioned are the benefits of Sneezing and saying “Alhamdulillah” after it:
- Sneezing is the rapid action which releases about 100,000 germs out of our body in just a glance.
- When one sneezes, a person’s face becomes distorted for those few seconds. If Allah wished, he could have kept us with the same distorted expression permanently. It is only through the mercy and grace of Allah (SWT), that He grants us our normal expressions again.
- All the harmful material gets stuck in our nose, and a sneeze blocks it from entering our lungs and causing infections. So we take them out after sneezing in just a blink of an eye.
- Sneezing makes a person more comfortable, clears the air, and help lungs get fresh air.
- When we sneeze our eyes get closed which avoids blood capillaries and tear ducts from contamination from bacteria and viruses.
- Sneezing helps us and provides relief as we get rid of the trapped vapors in the head, which may lead to infections and diseases and preventing from sickness and pain.
May Almighty Allah protect us from all kinds of diseases and make us from those who follow the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (SAW). Ameen!