Making mistakes or committing sins is a part of human nature. Being a Muslim it is our duty to stay away from committing sins in the light of Islam. Surely, man is weak but it is Allah (SWT) Who created us and He knows that we are weak. So out of His Mercy, The Most Merciful has opened the gate of repentance for us so that we can turn to Him every time we sin. Allah Almighty says in the Noble Quran: “Say O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily, Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful” (Quran, 39:53)
Ways to Control Sins
Below mentioned are some ways to take control of sins by following the teachings of Quran and Sunnah.
- Make sincere Taubah from Almighty Allah. It is essential that a sinner should turn to Allah and repent to Him. Make sincere Taubah and try best to stay away from the sin that one is committing.
- Always remember the omnipresent authority which looks at all our deeds that is Allah Almighty is everywhere and He is aware of every act that we do. This conscious awareness that Allah Almighty is well aware of what we do- physically and intentionally and we are subjected to answer our deeds automatically stops all sinful activities.
- The most important strategy in warfare of controlling sins is to know the enemy. In this case, life is a battle against shaytan who is the enemy of our souls. We need to study about him and his tactics he uses to lead people astray and then use against him.
- Make sincere Dua to Allah Almighty and ask Him to keep you away from whatever it is that you are doing. Cry over your sin, beg Him for His Mercy and ask Him to guide you, to give you strength to stay away from bad deeds and set your heart right.
- A daily relationship with Allah (SWT) is the basic principle to control our self from sins. Spend some time reading the Holy Quran and indulging in Zikr. Make it a habit it will surely help.
- One should spend more time doing good deeds such as offering a lot of Nawaafil prayers, fasting, giving charity, helping someone, gaining Islamic knowledge. These good deeds stop making mistakes or committing sins.
- Make an effort to offer Salah regularly in the congregation. Every time you repent before Allah, your faith strengthens.
- Stay away from the bad company from those who do bad things and don’t fear Allah. Stay away from those who helped you to commit the sin. There are so many cases in which people have gone back to sin because they resumed relationships with their former companions.
- Keep the company of the believers, they will always pull you back on track when you fall astray.
- Gather and indulge in activities which are favored in Islam, not in those which are prohibited.
- If you fail and fall into sin, repent immediately. You should regret it and be determined never to indulge in any sinful behavior in the future.
May Almighty Allah guide us to follow the right path and teachings of Islam! Ameen