Salah is one of the core components of the Islamic ideology. A prayer is generally a means of remembrance of Allah SWT, and getting His mercy and blessings. It is of two types: first is the Obligatory Namaz, which is to be offered five times a day at specific times with no choice of skipping it under normal circumstances, while second is the Nafl (supererogatory prayer) which is optional and one is not answerable to the Almighty for not performing it.
Tahajjud Namaz is one of the non-obligatory prayers which one should pray in the later part of the night after getting some sleep. “And from [part of] the night, pray with it as additional [worship] for you; it is expected that your Lord will resurrect you to a praised station.” (Quran, 17: 79)
Tahajjud means to abandon sleep so that you can pray Salah. There are Numbers of Hadith and verses emphasize the significance of invoking Allah Almighty by solicitation and prayers in the darkest nights. “The Lord descends every night to the lowest heaven when one-third of the night remains and says: ‘Who will call upon Me, that I may answer Him? Who will ask of Me, that I may give him? Who will seek My forgiveness that I may forgive him?’” (Bukhari, Muslim)
Abu Hurairah (RA) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, “The very best prayer after the compulsory prayers is the night time prayer” (Muslim). Tahajjud prayer usually is done by alone without together. Tahajjud prayer is not limited in number, but at least two Rakah. As Prophet Muhammad (SAW) explained that: “Evening prayer that two-two.” (Bukhari)
Tahajjud prayer is implemented in the final third of a night after waking up from one`s sleep. It cannot be offered straight away after Isha, but only following one`s sleep, neither when the time is near to Fajr.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has told his followers: Abu Muslim asked Abu Zhar: “Which late-night prayer is the best?” He said: “I asked the Messenger of Allah the same that you asked me and he said, ‘The (one done during) middle of the latter half of the night, and very few do it.’” (Ahmad)
There is a great reward for dedicating time and effort to pray the Tahajjud. Allah says in the Holy Quran: “And the servants of the Most Merciful [Allah] are those who walk upon the earth easily, and when the ignorant address them [harshly], they say [words of] peace, and devote [part of] the night to their Lord prostrating and standing [in prayer].” (Quran 25:63-64)
Offering of Tahajjud prayer is one of the supreme signs of the true disciples of Islam that is why Allah SWT has declared them as His loyal servants in the above verse of Furqan e Hameed. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) used to offer this Namaz frequently, which increases it importance in a Muslim`s life manifold.
“The best of prayers after the prescribed prayers is prayer in the depths of the night, and the best of fasting after the month of Ramadan is fasting the month of Allah, Muharram.” (Muslim)
Benefits of Tahajjud Prayer
Following benefits, one could get by offering Tahajjud prayer:
- It gives inner strength
- It gives mental toughness
- Seek forgiveness and surely Allah will listen
- The doors of Mercy and Forgiveness are open during the last 1/3 of night
- If someone wishes his/her Dua to be accepted this is the best time to ask
- Huge incentive for the believer to wake up when everyone else is asleep and remember Allah (SWT) alone
- Tahajjud prayer can strengthen religious understanding
- It can bring fresh inspiration and innovation
- Tahajjud prayer can delete wickedness and prevent act of sin
- Tahajjud prayer can strengthen the memory
Conditions of Offering Tahajjud Prayer
- Make an intention of performing Tahajjud prayer and rearrange to wake up finally a piece of the night
- Make sure to perform Wudu as one should perform before every Tahajjud Namaz
- Move to a clean and quiet place in the house being away from distractions
- Offer at least two Raka`ts up to 12, depending on one`s willpower
- Don’t forget to supplicate to Allah SWT for one`s just and rightful requests in order to get benefited from this exceedingly rewarding hour of darkness
We all should make a practice to offer this Tahajjud Namaz so that we can come more and more close to Almighty Allah.