Islam is the religion of peace and love that provide its follower’s complete guideline on how to live a meaningful life. Perfection is only the quality of Almighty Allah. Human beings were always flawed and they did commit sins. Allah (SWT) bestowed humans a free will that often leads them to commit sins whether small or earnest. Allah Almighty also provided an easy supplication “Astaghfirullah” that when done with complete sincerity will lead to the elimination of sins no matter how small or grave, they are. Istighfar (means “I seek forgiveness from Almighty Allah”) is what removes our sins and helps us to attain the goal of Paradise.
It is the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) to seek Istighfar 100 times daily. In the Holy Quran, Istighfar is seen as portraying the strength and support of Allah which leads to attaining closeness to Allah and redemption. The Holy Quran states: “But surely the righteous will be in the midst of gardens and springs, receiving what the Lord will give them; for they used to do good before that. They used to sleep but a little of the night, and at the dawn of the day they sought forgiveness…” (Quran, 51:16-19)
8 Benefits of
Istighfar from the Holy Quran
Allah Almighty is so Kind, Loving, Caring and Merciful that He
blesses a Muslim with more than he could imagine when he truly asks for
forgiveness from Almighty Allah. Below mentioned are the 8 benefits of Istighfar
from the Noble Quran.
- Istighfar opens the door of Mercy. Allah (SWT) says in the Holy Quran: “Ask forgiveness of your Lord. Indeed, He is ever a Perpetual Forgiver.” (Quran, 71:10)
- Forgiveness is one of the causes for Allah Almighty to send rain down. It is symbolic as well for Allah Almighty to increase us in our provision and mercy. In the Holy Quran, it is stated that: “He will send [rain from] the sky upon you in [continuing] showers” (Quran, 71:11).
- Forgiveness gives you wealth and children. The Quran says, “And give you increase in wealth and children.”(Quran, 71:12)
- For seeking Istighfar, Allah Almighty promises us that we will be given gardens and rivers. It could be in this world and in the hereafter or only in the hereafter. We all know that gardens and rivers are the most common description of paradise. In the Holy Quran Allah (SWT) says: “… and provide for you gardens and provide for you rivers.” (Quran, 71:12)
- One should make Istighfar, Allah will give him/her strength. If we are struggling with heartbreak, let us make Istighfar, Allah Almighty will provide us the strength to get over it. Allah Almighty stated in the Holy Quran: “…ask forgiveness of your Lord and then repent to Him. He will send [rain from] the sky upon you in showers and increase you in strength [added] to your strength.” (Quran, 11:52)
- Seeking forgiveness by doing Istighfar provides sustenance. The Holy Quran says, “Seek forgiveness of your Lord and repent to Him, [and] He will let you enjoy a good provision for a specified term and give every doer of favor His favor.” (Quran, 11:3)
- Those who repent with a sincere heart will not be punished. Allah (SWT) says in the Quran: “And Allah would not punish them while they seek forgiveness.”(Quran, 8:33)
- “My Lord, forgive me and grant me a kingdom such as will not belong to anyone after me. Indeed, You are the Bestower” (Quran, 38:35). The Prophet Solomon (AS) was given a kingdom that no one will ever be given after him. And he started his dua while making Istighfar to Allah.