What is Taqwa?
Taqwa is defined as fearing Allah when a person fears from Almighty Allah then he will not commit sins. Taqwa incorporates consciousness and fear of Allah as well as piety. Piety is basically righteousness that can be only obtained by the obedience of Almighty Allah and refrain from His prohibitions. We can say that Taqwa is the key to happiness and success in this life and the hereafter too. Taqwa acts as a channel through which Muslims relate to one another in society and also a medium to link their actions.
Importance of Taqwa in Islam
Allah alone is the Creator of this world and He is The Most Merciful for all His mankind, it is repeatedly mentioned in Quran. The obeying of the great Lord is not confined to only fulfilling religious actions, but being moral in every aspect of life, as observed in the following verse of the Holy Quran: “O, you who believe! When you hold secret counsel, do it not for sin and wrong-doing, and disobedience towards the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) but do it for Al-Birr (righteousness) and Taqwa (virtues and piety), and fear Allah unto Whom you shall be gathered.” (Quran, 58:9)
From this verse it indicates that Taqwa means a lot more than just piousness: it is the combination of our beliefs, self-awareness, and attitudes. It is a reminder to stay on the path of uprightness, decency and knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is about having Lord Consciousness in terms of knowing and obeying all His orders including not only fearing Him but also acting in all His directions. In Quran, Allah says: “O ye who believe! Fear God and be with those who are true (in word and deed).” (Quran, 9:119)
In Holy Quran and Sunnah Taqwa is define as the concept of protecting oneself from the Hellfire by following the orders of Allah Almighty, by doing what He (SWT) has commanded and by avoiding what He (SWT) has forbidden. Many Ayahs in the Quran point to this: “And unto Allah belong all that is in the Heavens and all that is on Earth. And, verily, We have recommended to the people of the Scripture before you, and to you (O Muslims) that you (all) fear Allah and keep your duty to Him, But if you disbelieve, then unto Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth, and Allah is Ever Rich, Worthy of all praise.” (Quran, 4:131)
Taqwa acts as a barrier between the Muslims and the anger and displeasure of Allah (SWT). In Hadith Prophet (SAW) said: “Fear Allah because it is the collection of all goodness.” From above ayahs and hadith, we can conclude that if we want to be successful l, and want to get Allah’s blessings and pleasure then we should fear Allah and have to do the righteous deeds which are the source of pleasing Allah Almighty.
Benefits of Taqwa from Quran
Below we will discuss some benefits of Taqwa from Quran:
- Guidance: There is guidance for those who are Muttaqin (the people of taqwa) as Allah says in Quran: “guidance for those conscious of Allah” (Quran, 2:2). People who fear of Almighty Allah will seek guidance from the Holy Book Quran.
- Ease of Matters: In Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says: “And whoever fears Allah, He will make for him ease in his matter.” (Quran, 65:4). Whoever has Taqwa, Allah makes matters easy for him in this world as well as the hereafter. This does not necessarily mean that the person will not face difficulty, but through the blessings of his Taqwa, he is guaranteed ease and the strength to bear these difficulties without losing faith or hope by Almighty Allah. The reward of facing these difficulties will be given by Allah in the hereafter.
- Allah’s love for Muttaqin: In holy Quran Allah Almighty stated that: “Truly Allah loves the Muttaqin“(Quran, 3:76). From this verse, we can conclude that Allah loves those who are piety that is who does righteous deeds. Taqwa is the source of gaining Allah’s love and blessings.
- A way out of Difficulties: Allah says in Holy Quran about those who are facing problems in a verse that: “And whoever fears Allah, He will make for him a way out.” (Quran, 65:2). People who are facing difficulties but still remain steadfast in their faith for the sake of Allah then He (SWT) will surely make a way for them to get rid off of these problems. Taqwa serves as a divine guard against trials of this world as well as the difficulties of the hereafter.
- Acceptance of Actions: Allah says in Quran about the acceptance of actions or deeds in these words: “Allah only accepts from the people of taqwa“(Quran, 5:27). People who are Muttaqin Allah loves them and accept their actions and deeds.
- Unexpected Sustenance: Almighty Allah is the creator and sustainer of the universe. Whatever a person requires and desires of sustenance can be found in His vast treasures. In Holy Quran Allah says: “And if the people of the towns believed and had Taqwa, certainly We should have opened for them blessings from the heavens and the earth.” (Quran, 7:96)
- Salvation from the Fire: Allah says that: “Then We will save the ones who had taqwa“(Quran, 19:72). Allah will save the Muttaqin from hellfire so try to do righteous deeds. Be piety and get rewards from Allah Almighty.
- Ability to distinguish truth from falsehood: When a believer sees to it that his obedience to Allah and love for him stay above everything else, he is gifted by Allah with the sight of distinguishing between true and false or we can say good or bad deeds. In Holy Quran Allah says: “O you who believe! If you fear Allah, He will grant you a criterion (furqan).” (Quran, 8:29)
- Success from Taqwa: Allah Almighty says in Holy Quran: “Have taqwa of Allah in order that you might succeed” (Quran, 3:200). Anyone who wants to get succeed in this life and the hereafter has to do righteous deeds for the pleasure of Almighty Allah. Taqwa is also to do righteous deeds for fear of Allah Almighty.
- Tranquility: Allah says in Holy Quran: “It is He (Allah) who sent down tranquility into the hearts of the believers.” (Quran, 48:4). People who want calmness and tranquility should do taqwa that means fear of Allah Almighty in result they became piety. When they become piety they feel calmness and tranquility in their hearts as Allah mentioned in Quran.
For the success in this lie and the hereafter, we have to do taqwa. We should not delay in increase our taqwa. Should pray to Allah Almighty to guide us towards the right path and help us become pious and righteous Muslims. Ameen!