Shaban is the 8th month of the Islamic calendar. Shab e Barat is one of the most celebrated events of Islamic calendar in the month of Shaban. Shab e Barat is the night of 15th of Shaban when Muslims indulge in prayers, ask Duas and praise Allah Almighty. A majority of Muslims considers the night of 15th of Shaban as one of the Holiest nights in the Muslim lunar calendar. During this special night, Muslims make special preparations to pray at night from dusk till dawn.
Moreover, Muslims also keep fast during the consequent day as well to earn maximum rewards from Allah Almighty. Muslims consider Shab e Barat as a chance for increased ajar, as it is believed that praying on the night of Shab e Barat takes special meaning and Allah Almighty blesses the rest of the year along with providing us a good chance of forgiveness. Hazrat Ali (RA) narrated that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “When it is the fifteenth of Shaban, then stand (in worship) at night and fast during the day. Because Allah descends in this night at sunset to the first heaven and says: ‘Is there any seeker of forgiveness, that I may forgive him? Is there any seeker of sustenance, that I may sustain him? Is there anyone in affliction, that I may remove his affliction? Is there anyone like this, like that (and so on)’. This continues until Fajr.” (Ibn Majah)
On the Night of 15th Shaban, after Maghrib or Isha prayer it is traditional practice to read Surah Yasin and make special supplications for good health, protection from calamities and to increase faith. Shab-e-Barat is the night in which Allah Almighty forgives all those who believe Him and who don’t hate others. In hadith it is stated by our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) that: “In the fifteenth night of Shaban, Allah manifests and forgives all His creation except for the Mushrik (idolater) and the spiteful.” (Ibn Majah)
Prayers & Duas for Shab e Barat
Pertaining to the 15th night of Shaban, there are different Nawafil prayers and different Tasbeehs that a Muslim can perform to earn great reward from Allah Almighty.
- After Maghrib prayer, which marks the start of the 15th of Shaban, one can offer 2 Rakats of Nafal. The first Rakat should have 3 times Surah Ikhlas and one Surah Falaq after the regular recitation of Surah Fatiha. In the second Rakat, keep all the things same and just replace Surah Falak with Surah Naas. After offering the prayer make dua by asking Allah Almighty for protection of your Imaan (faith).
- Salat Tasbih is one of the most renowned Nafal prayers that carry great reward for the person who offers it. One should offer Salat ul Tasbih the prayer of forgiveness in Shab e Barat. Make intention for 4 Rakat, Nafal or Salat ul Tasbih to please Allah (SWT) and then start your Nimaz in the normal way. After reciting the Sanaa, the recitation of Tasbih “Subhanallahi Wal Hamdulillahi Walaa Ilaaha Illallahu Wallahu Akbar”. Every Rakat of Salat ul Tasbih should have Tasbih at least 75 times.
- You can offer another 2 Rakat Nafal prayer after Maghrib prayer. In this Nafal prayer you must recite Surah Yasin once and read the Dua Nisf Shaban once as well. After that you can make the Dua for living a righteous life full of piety.
- The recitation of the Holy Quran is another form of worship, which is very benevolent in Shab e Barat. After performing Salah, or at any other time, one should recite the Holy Quran as much as he/she can. Quran recitation in the blessed night would definitely be a beneficial activity bringing special rewards to your account.
- One should also perform dhikr in this special night. One should recitedurood on Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), as many times as one can.
- On the Holy Night of 15th Shaban, read Surat Yasin three times between Maghrib and Isha prayer, and after each time, read the following dua. The intention for the first reading should be for long life. The niyyat for the second reading should be for protection from calamities.
There are a variety of prayers a Muslim can offer during the night of 15th of Shaban. Those who do not believe in the authenticity of the celebration of the Night, should consider it as an ordinary night and perform regular prayers and praise of Allah Almighty without being insulting or condescending to the others who regard this night as special.