The most read book throughout the world, The Holy Quran, is the last book of Allah (SWT) carrying the message of mercy, forgiveness and peace for all mankind. The Holy Quran was revealed more than 1400 years ago to the last messenger of Allah, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) as the final word to call the mankind towards the creator and share the truth about the universe with humankind. The message in Quran shows us the way to spend our lives in accordance to the guidelines provided by Allah and to follow the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Reciting Quran reveals many treasures of wisdom hidden in the Holy Book which draw us closer to believe in oneness of God and the message of Islam.
Quran is a miracle of Allah. During the recital of Quran, you will get a very strong feeling that the verses are directed towards you and you are being taught the code of life by the divine power Himself. The Quran shares an intimate feeling and Allah talks to His creatures directly. Another miracle of Quran is its preservation through centuries. Today, the Quran Aayahs we recite are the same that were revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). This is only possible due to the divine intervention of Allah (SWT) as He has taken the responsibility of its protection Himself.
“Indeed, it is We who sent down the Qur’an and indeed, We will be its guardian.” (Quran 15:9)
Allah has safeguarded the verses of Quran from pollution by making it easy to be read and memorized. Today, it is the only book which is memorized, word by word, by millions of Muslims. Allah explains this quality of Quran in following verses,
“And We have certainly made the Qur’an easy for remembrance, so is there any who will remember?”
There are countless facts about the Quran and its revelation some of which are shared over here:
- The literal meaning of Quran is “that which is being read”.
- Quran has some other names too, which are: Al-Huda (The Guidance), Al-Dhikr (The Reminder), Al-Furqan (The Criterion-for judging right from wrong), Al-Shifa (The Healing), Al-Mau`iza (The Admonition), Al-Rahmah (The Mercy), Al-Nur (The Light), Al-Haqq (The Truth), and Al-Burhaan (The Clear Argument).
- Quran was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) through the angel Jibril.
- Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was 40 years old when the first verse of Quran was revealed to Him.
- The revelation started in the Holy month of Ramadan.
- The revelation of Quran took place over the period of 23 years.
- Quran was revealed in parts, verse by verse, to the Holy Prophet.
- The period of revelation of Quran can be divided in to 2 main parts which are Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)’s life in Makkah which is 13 years and after His (PBUH) migration to Madinah which is 10 years.
- There are 114 Surahs in the Holy Quran. Each Surah follows a theme and gives a specific message about the fundamentals of faith and practicing of belief.
- The number of Surahs revealed in Makkah is 86, while 28 Surahs were revealed in Madinah.
- To facilitate the recital of Quran, it has been divided in to 30 equal parts called the Juz or Siparah. The Surahs of Quran were arranged in the present order by the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) himself though there was no compiled copy of Quran during Prophet’s life and Sahaba memorized the verses of Quran by heart or scribed the verses on stones, animal skin or palm tree.
- Angel Jibril used to bring the message of Allah to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) that was further shared by the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) with His companions.
- Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) used to revise the verses of Quran with Angel Jibril every year. In the year before his death, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) revised Quran with Jibril twice.
- After the death of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), the caliph Abu Bakr sensed the need of a written Quran and so he appointed Sahaba to compile the scribes of verses of Quran for the generations to come.
Some other facts about the Quran are:
- The word Quran is used 70 times in the Holy Quran.
- The longest Surah in the Quran is Surah Al-Baqrah which is the second Surah in order of compilation.
- The shortest Surah is Surah Al-Kauthar.
- The longest verse of the Quran appears in Surah Al-Baqarah verse number 282, also commonly known as Ayatul Kursi.
- The first Surah in Quran, Surah Al-Fatiha is known as the Mother of Quran or Ummul Quran.
- Surah Yaseen is called the heart of Quran.
- Quran has been translated in 103 languages in the world.
- There are 10 rewards against reading a single letter from the Holy Quran.
- The words Man and Woman appear equal number of times in Quran, which is 24.
- The best drink mentioned in the Quran in Milk.
- The best food to eat, mentioned in the Quran is Honey.
- The best month among all months is mentioned as Ramadan in the Quran.
- The best night mentioned in the Quran is Laylatul Qadr.
- The name Muhammad is mentioned 4 times in the Holy Quran.
- 6 Surahs or chapters in Quran are named after Prophets who came before Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
- 25 Prophets are mentioned in the Quran.
- Friday is the only day of week that is mentioned in the Quran.
- There are specific mannerisms to follow during the recital of Quran one of them being that Holy Quran should be recited in slow rhythmic tones which Allah mentions in the Quran.
- “Bismillah ir-Rahmaani ir-Raheem” appears 114 times in the Holy Quran.
- “Bismillah” is written before each Surah in the Holy Quran except in Surah Tauba, but is also written twice in Surah Namal.
- Three mosques are mentioned in the Quran: Masjid-ul-Haram (Makkah), Masjid-ul-Aqsa (Jerusalem), Masjid Qubaa (near Madinah).
When you open up Quran and start reciting it, you’ll find many gems and inspirations that no one else could have found. It’s like being directly guided by a light source. The knowledge found in the Holy Quran is indisputable. The scientific facts revealed in Quran have been proven true and no one can refute the divine wisdom behind the verses of Quran. The stories of prior Prophets and religions have also been proven true.
Try to learn the holy Quran and inculcate the habit of reading it daily to witness these miracles yourself. There are many online resources that you can consult for understanding Quran and learning it with complete translation and meaning, one of them being QuranReading.com. Start today to make your life part of a miracle. Learn the facts about Quran and increase your faith.