Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is the last Prophet of Allah Almighty. Allah (SWT) has motivated His Messenger (PBUH) with two kinds of revelation: the Quran and the Sunnah. The Sunnah refers to everything that is said, done or admitted by the Prophet (SAW). For Muslims, their true love is for Prophet Muhammad (SAW) whose entire life is encoded in his Sunnah. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is the walking Quran and following him is the right path which leads towards ultimate satisfaction. There is the great importance of following Prophet’s Sunnah that we should know and then try to follow His (SAW) way then we can be successful in both worlds.
Importance of Prophet’s Sunnah
For Muslims following the actions of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) is the matter of meaningful importance because his Sunnah is the source of great benefits for the followers. Believers are encouraged to act in accordance with the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah. If we follow Sunnah of Muhammad (SAW) we can get many benefits by following Prophet’s Sunnah. Allah says in Quran: “There has certainly been for you in the Messenger of Allah an excellent pattern for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Last Day and [who] remembers Allah often.” (Quran 33:21)
A person who loves Allah really will definitely try to resemble the person whom Allah loves and is pleased with, and try to replicate his deeds. Hence, despite not everyone can act in accordance with the whole Sunnah, but everybody can have the intention of acting in accordance with the Sunnah and be in favor of the Sunnah. We all know one day this world will come to an end, therefore, all of us should try to live our lives according to the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (SAW). Allah (SWT) has stressed the obligation of showing complete obedience and submission to Prophet Muhammad (SAW) that is to follow Muhammad (SAW) Sunnah in many verses of Quran. Allah says: “And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad PBUH) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it), and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment. “(Quran, 59:7)
Sunnah consists of the character, etiquettes, habits and legislative obligations of our Holy Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) performed to keep the Muslim believers closer to Allah (SWT).Prophet Muhammad (SAW) always practiced in his life what Allah (SWT) has revealed on him in the form of Divine revelation the Quran. He followed all the precepts of Islam to become a leader for Muslims who can be followed to lead a pious life. For every Sunnah, a Muslim follows there is the number of benefits on physical and spiritual grounds. We will discuss some benefits of following Prophet’s Sunnah in this article.
Benefits of following Prophet’s Sunnah
There are great benefits of following Prophet’s Sunnah in this life as well as in the life hereafter too. By following Prophet’s Sunnah we can lead a happy and healthy life which we are going to discuss below:
- Sleeping and Waking up Early: Sleeping early results in rising early and it has the great impact on our daily routine and also in our body functioning. A sleeping pattern that is the time of sleeping plays a great role in our ability to function properly and effectively during daily activities. Starting the day off by praying the morning Salah sets you in the right frame of mind to be the best you can be throughout the day. It was the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) to rise early and offer prayers, which helps in reshaping a person at the start of the day into his proper frame. Hazrat Aisha (R.A) narrated Prophet (SAW) sleeping habit that: “He used to sleep early at night, and get up in its last part to pray, and then return to his bed.” (Al Bukhari). Wake up early and sleep early to be the strong, successful you that you want to be and Insha Allah you will get all these things.
- Use of Miswak: Miswak comes from the “Salvadora persica” tree and has many anti-bacterial qualities, making it a great way to maintain hygiene of the mouth. Prophet (SAW) used to do Miswak and we all should also do it because it is very important to maintain oral hygiene. This Sunnah introduces preventative measures against a problem that can have you rolled up in bed for days. Miswak is easily purchasable and relatively cheap, making it an easy Sunnah to uphold. It keeps the mouth clean and fresh naturally and effortlessly all the time. Hadith related to Miswak usage is as follows: “If it were not that it would be difficult on my nation, then I would have ordered them to use the siwak for each pray.” [Al Tirmidhi]
- Having always a pleasant smile: Smiling is a simple way to looks like happy and also try to do other’s happy. With the help of smile, you can lift up someone’s mood that is sad and worried. By doing so you can make someone be more grateful and relief from sadness. Our beloved Prophet (PBUH) frequently doing it and all of us should follow his Sunnah of having always a pleasant smile. Ibn Jaz reports: “I have not seen anyone who smiled more than the Messenger of Allah (SAW).” (Tirmidhi). Try to smile more often and spread joy and peace around you as our beloved Prophet (SAW) instructed to do so.
- Doing Hijama (Cupping): Cupping therapy is the modern form of regulating blood flow via putting suctions on human skin to mobilize the flow of blood for healing the wide range of medical ailments. This form of treatment has been used throughout history in a number of countries. The benefits of cupping are vast, including the removal of toxins from the blood. Hadith narrates: “I there is any healing in your medicines, then it is in cupping, a gulp of honey or branding with fire (cauterization) that suits the ailment, but I don’t like to be (cauterized) branded with fire.” (Al Bukhari). Cupping on daily basis helps in removal of hazardous toxins that human body accumulates on daily basis along effectiveness for fertility, migraine, and joint pains. So for getting cure from diseases, we should try to follow this act of Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
- Sit while eating or drinking: Those who stand while eating or drinking always looks like they are in the stream. Sitting down to eat slows a person in their eating habits, reducing the amount they are likely to eat and the unhealthy speed by which they do so. Importantly, eating together as a family, which requires you to sit, is a crucial way to build relationships. It was narrated by Anas (R.A) that: “The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) prohibited that a man should drink while standing.” (Qatadah said) So it was said: “And eating?” He (Anas) said: “That is worse.” (Tirmidhi). We should try to follow this Sunnah while eating or drinking in this way our health will also be perfect and we will build the strong relationship with our family too.
- Always speaks good or keep silent: The beauty of this particular Sunnah is that it will help you save time and reduce the amount of energy used to contemplate over irrelevant matters being discussed. This energy and time could be well spent on something beneficial, such as reading Quran or doing vital tasks or only speaking things that benefit oneself and others in this world and the Hereafter. The Prophet (SAW) said about this: “He who believes in Allah and the Hereafter if he witnesses any matter he should talk in good terms about it or keep quiet.” (Muslim)
We should follow the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) in our daily life routine so that we can get benefits from them and can live healthy, happy and peaceful life.