What is Depression?
Depression is a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel the way you think and how you act. Depression causes feelings of sadness and/or a loss of interest in activities once enjoyed. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems and can decrease a person’s ability to function at work and at home.
This is a very interesting issue because according to psychological studies, a huge percentage of people alive today are accountable to some kind of depression so it is important to explore this issue in relation to being better Muslims. Islam being not just a religion but also a complete way of life has provided us with a solution of every problem, and depression is one problem the solution to which can be found in the teachings of Islam.
Sins are a major factor in our unhappiness and therefore our depression. When we sin, we feel guilty that cause depression, stress, and anxiety. It is that depression which may actually lead us to repent to Allah or to spoil even more in sin. Allah Almighty said in Quran: “And whoever turns away from My remembrance to him there will be a difficult life.” (Quran, 20:124)
A little depression and anxiety is a normal part of life which can be cured with prayer and positive thinking. For those of us who experience abnormal and unhealthy levels of depression and anxiety, there is hope in Islam to overcome these disable symptoms. If we are feeling depressed, we should strengthen our belief in Allah and should recite the supplication for depression and worries.
Allah says in Holy Quran: “Allah is the Protector of those who have faith He will lead them from the depths of darkness into light. As for those who disbelieve, their patrons are the devils: from the light, they will lead them forth into the depths of darkness. They will be companions of the fire, to dwell therein (forever).” (Quran, 2:257)
How to Deal with Depression and Anxiety According to Quran and Sunnah
We should have faith in Allah Almighty in every aspect of life. Some couple of steps that can help to deal with depression and anxiety mentioned below:
- Ask Allah Almighty (Dua): Turn each anxiety, each fear and each concern into a Dua. Look at it as another reason to submit to Lord and be in prostration, during which you are closest to Allah. Allah Almighty listens and already knows what is in your heart, but He wants you to ask Him for what you want. Our beloved Prophet (SAW) said: “Allah is angry with those who do not ask Him for anything.”(Tirmidhi). We should always ask Allah Almighty no matter to what we are dealing with. He is the only One who can help us.
- Read Surah Ad Duha: According to one report, after the Prophet (SAW) had begun receiving revelation from Allah Almighty, at one point a long period of time passed with no such communication from Allah. As a result, the Makkans humiliate the Prophet (SAW) due to that he became severely depressed. At that time this chapter was revealed (Quran 93: 1-11). The chapter is a beautiful reminder to us to see life in the greater pattern of things, to be grateful for what we have and to never give up striving for what is right. This chapter of the Quran can be considered a direct recipe from Lord for depression.
- Remember Allah, Do Dhikr: Keep your tongue busy with the remembrance of Allah that is Dhikr. Remembering Allah comforts your heart and removes your depression and anxiety. Allah says in Holy Quran: “Those who believe, and whose hearts find peace in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find peace.” (Quran, 13:28)
- Offer Salah: Those who keep their prayers on time and pray with focus and shyness will find peace. Salahis the great way to reduce stress and depression because a Muslim prays with the intention to connect with His Creator Who is Able to get him through his difficulties. Allah Almighty says in Holy Quran: “O you who believe! Resort to patience and prayer; surely, Allah is with the patient.” (Quran, 2:153)
- Recite the Holy Quran: Quran is the best form of remembrance Allah Almighty it brings comfort and peace to the heart. Our beloved Prophet (SAW) said: “Quran is the best remedy for the illness of the soul” (Bukhari).
- Reciting Surah Nas: Consistently reciting Surah Nas will safeguard one from depression and cheer the mood of one who suffers from depression.
- Seek Help Through Sabr: Being patient gives us control in situations where we feel we have no control. Patience helps us keep our mind and attitude towards our difficulties controlled. Allah says in Holy Quran: “Seek help through Sabr and Salah” (Quran 2:45).
- Rely on Allah Almighty (Tawakkul): Rely on Allah by constantly remembering Him throughout your day. Once you have established a plan you intend to follow through on to deal with a specific issue or problem in your life, put your trust in the most Wise and the All-Knowing that is Allah Almighty. Allah says in Holy Quran: “When you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah” (Quran 3: 159).
- Seek Forgiveness for Your Sins: When one seeks forgiveness of Allah, he/she will be relieved of the anxiety and depression that caused by his sins. Forgiveness brings happiness, so ask forgiveness and also try to forgive others.
- Don’t Procrastinate: Laziness is one of the most common causes of stress because a person sees that he is not finishing his job. The Prophet (SAW) used to seek refuge in Allah from laziness.
Allah helps those who have belief in Him to overcome depression and anxiety. May Allah helps us to deal with depression and stress with these Islamic healing points that mentioned above. Ameen!