Salah is the 2nd pillar of Islam. Offering salah five times a day is obligatory on every Muslim. Salah (Nimaz) differentiate Muslims from people of other beliefs and most importantly it is a means of invoking Allah (SWT) and seeking His pleasure. In Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says: “Indeed, those who believe and do righteous deeds and establish prayer and give Zakah will have their reward with their Lord, and there will be no fear concerning them, nor will they grieve.” (Quran, 2:277)
The Fajr prayer first of the five daily prayers offered each day at dawn is one of the prayers that Allah (SWT) loved most. The time for the Fajr prayer is a time of light, barakah, and spiritual blessings. Fajr prayer time is a blessed time, and one need not worry about losing sleep, for, with proper spiritual practice, the human body and mind become energized with life-energy and force for the rest of the day. In Holy Quran Allah Almighty says about the importance of Fajr prayer: “So establish the Prayer after the declining of the sun (from its zenith, for Dhuhr and then ASR) to the dusk of the night (Maghrib and then ‘Isha) and the (Quranic) recitation of Fajr [prayer]. Indeed, the (Quranic) recitation of Fajr is witnessed.” (Quran, 17:78)
Benefits of Fajr Prayer
Here are some benefits and rejoicing message for those who offer Fajr prayer daily. Every Muslim should keep them in mind, in order to achieve such great benefits and blessings both in this world and in the Hereafter:
- Fajr prayer protects us from Satan. Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “Whoever offers the Morning Prayer, he is under the protection of Allah, the Mighty and Sublime”(Ibn Majah).
- The observance of daily prayers defines belief from disbelief. So it is an essential part of our faith and also Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
- The Fajr prayer provides light and guidance, strength and support, to the human soul and heart.
- Those who offer Fajr and Maghrib prayer will not enter into Hell. The thing to consider in this regard is that one does not get expiated from Hell by offering a single Fajr and Maghrib prayer, rather one needs to do it with consistency. There is hadith related to this: “Whoever performs the Prayer before the rising of the sun and the Prayer before its setting will not enter Hell.”(Muslim)
- Muslims who pray dawn prayer will be admitted to Paradise. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:
“Whoever offers the two prayers (Asr and Fajr) will enter Paradise.” (Bukhari)
- Fajr prayer equates positive energy and the presence of the Lord’s angels. Allah Almighty says in the Holy Quran: “Establish prayer at the decline of the sun [from its meridian] until the darkness of the night and [also] the Quran of dawn. Indeed, the recitation of dawn is ever witnessed” (Quran, 17:78). Early morning sets the tone and energy for the whole day, and by beginning the day in the best possible way.
- Fajr prayer teaches us about the importance of time that time is precious. So, we need to use it well and structure our day and make use of it.
- The angels witness those who offer Fajr and Asr prayers. The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said:
“Angels come to you in succession by night and day, and they meet at Fajr and Asr prayer. Then those who spent the night among you ascend, and He (Allah) will ask them, although He knows best: ‘In what condition did you leave My slaves?’ They will say: ‘We left them when they were praying and we came to them when they were praying.”(Bukhari )
- The Prophet (SAW) said: “Two Sunnah cycles of Fajr prayer are better than this world and everything in it.”(Muslim)
- The one who offers Fajr prayer is directly under the protection of Allah Almighty. Holy Prophet (SAW) said: “Whoever prays the Fajr prayer, he or she is then under Allah’s protection. So beware, O son or daughter of Adam, that Allah does not call you to account for being absent from His protection for any reason.” (Muslim)
- The reward of praying Fajr prayer is greatest. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “Whoever prays the morning prayer in congregation then sits remembering Allah until the sun rises, then prays two units of prayer has the reward like that of Hajj and `Umrah.”(Tirmidhi)
May Allah Almighty give us the strength to offer obligatory prayers regularly. Ameen!