Making mistakes and discouraging are undoubtedly part of human nature and no one will be free of shortcomings in his obedience to Almighty Allah, or free of mistakes or sins. All of us fall short, commit sins, and make mistakes in our life as it is part of human nature. But, after the realization that something wrong has been done, we turn towards Allah Almighty and ask for His forgiveness. As it has been mentioned in the Holy Quran, “But indeed, I am the Perpetual Forgiver of whoever repents and believes and does righteousness and then continues in guidance.” (Quran, 20:82)
The above Ayah of the Holy Quran stated that when a person who has sinned turns to repentance then Allah Almighty will surely forgive him. Most of us think how would we ensure that repentance is sincere and accepted? Below mentioned are the signs according to the Quran and hadiths for sincere repentance that shows signs of Allah’s forgiveness.
- Those who repent with sincerity will see a positive change in them. Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “When your good deeds make you happy and make you pleased and your bad actions make you sad and hurt you, then that is a sign of a believer”. (Sahih Muslim)
- If someone has turned to repentance and also decided to not commit that sin again, be faith in Allah Almighty that his prayers have been accepted. Allah (SWT) says in the Noble Quran: “And when those come to you who believe in Our verses, say, “Peace be upon you. Your Lord has decreed upon Himself mercy: that any of you who does wrong out of ignorance and then repents after that and corrects himself – indeed, He is Forgiving and Merciful.” (Quran,6:54)
- Repentance is nothing but feeling guilty for your sins and mistakes, when a person repents on his sins with sincerity then he must feel deep regret for what he has done. But do remember that Allah Almighty knows the best and repent when your heart really feels guilt. In the Holy Quran Allah (SWT) says: “Indeed, the hypocrites will be in the lowest depths of the Fire – and never will you find for them a helper”(Quran: 4:146)
- If Allah Almighty accepts the repentance, the most evident sign of it is a person’s heart will feel calm and relaxed. This sincere repentance enables him to keep away from the sins in the future. Allah Almighty stated in the Holy Quran: “Ask forgiveness of your Lord, surely He is the most Forgiving. He will send down upon you the cloud, pouring down abundance of rain and help you with wealth and sons, and make for you gardens, and make for you rivers”(Quran, 71:10-12)
- Allah Almighty loves those who repent. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) stated in hadith: “Allah rejoices more over the repentance of His slave than any one of you if he is on his camel in a desolate land, then it runs away from him and on it is his food and drink, and he despairs of finding it, so he goes to a tree and lies down in its shade, having despaired of finding his camel, then while he is like that, it suddenly appears in front of him and he takes hold of its reins and says, because of his intense joy, ‘O Allah, You are my slave and I am your lord,’ making this mistake because of the intensity of his joy” (Sahih Muslim)
May Almighty Allah accept our prayers, forgive us all and make us amongst those that are pardoned before we leave this world. Ameen!