Dua is supplication, which means communicating with a deity, comes closer than invocation. It is an important part of our faith and belief. We ask from Almighty Allah for everything that we want in our life no matter its how big or small. Dua is a mean of keeping in touch with Allah (SWT). Due to Dua, we get closer to our Lord. We can say that Dua is a source of keeping the supplicant closer to the Almighty Allah.
Allah Almighty says in the Holy Quran: “When my servants ask you concerning me, (tell them) I am indeed close (to them). I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calls on me.” (Quran, 2:186). From the above verse of Holy Quran, it is concluded that Allah Almighty listens to us when we make Dua. We should always seek help from Allah (SWT).
Allah Almighty has given us the gift of asking for Duas and Ibadahs. Duas can be asked unconditionally and with sincerity and purity directly from Allah (SWT). Sometimes we keep on Praying for something but it happens that our Duas are being prevented from being answered. At that time a question comes to our mind “Why our Duas are unanswered?”
One should remember that Allah loves those who ask Him in need. Prophet (SAW) said: “There is nothing dearer to Allah than Dua” (Tirmidhi). Those who ask Allah in every need He love them and listen and accept their Duas. In some cases, you may find yourself in a situation where you feel that your Duas are not accepted. According to the Quran and hadiths, here are some reasons why our Duas are not being answered or fulfilled which we will discuss below:
- The most important condition without which any Dua will not be accepted is to ask from someone else other than Allah Almighty. One should call upon no one except Allah. The Prophet (SAW) said: “If you ask, then ask of Allah, and if you seek help, then seek the help of ”(Tirmidhi)
- We are in a hurry while making Dua. We should always take our time in making Dua. By rushing in while making dua we might be missing expressing gratitude for what we already have. Remember to send gratitude to Allah Almighty, praising Him and let send Salat on the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and then make Dua.
- Our sins might be the major reason why our Duas are unanswered. Allah Says: “Ask forgiveness from your Lord, verily, He is Oft-Forgiving; He will send rain to you in abundance, and give you increase in wealth and children, and bestow on you gardens and bestow on you rivers.” (Quran, 71:10-12)
- Ask Duas in a proper manner because when a person asks Dua which is inappropriate or prays for something sinful; his Duas will not be answered.
- Don’t make half-hearted Duas. Make your Duas with confidence that Allah will grant them. Especially if you’re asking for something good and beneficial.
- We remember Allah Almighty in times of hardships but fail to remember Him at times of Happiness. Narrated Abu Hurairah: Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said, “Whoever would be pleased to have Allah respond to him during hardship and disaster should make much Dua in times of ease.” (Tirmidhi)
- You are not praying with sincerity by demonstrating negligence then Allah Almighty will not answer your Duas.
- The believer should always pray in good and bad times and not get tired of it. It is advised to stay calm and patient during hardships. It was narrated from Abu Hurairah (R.A) that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: “(The Dua) of any one of you will be answered so long as he is not hasty in seeking a response and does not say, ‘I prayed but I have not had a response.’” (Bukhari)
- One of the major reasons why Duas are not fulfilled or unanswered is you are earning and consuming Haram wealth. Abu Hurairah (R.A) said that our beloved Prophet (SAW) said: “O people, Allah is Good and only accepts that which is good. Allah commanded the pious to follow the same commandments as He gave to the Messengers. Then he mentioned a man who has travelled on a long journey and is disheveled and covered with dust; he stretches forth his hands to the heaven, (saying) “O Lord, O Lord”, but his food is haraam, his drink is haraam, all his nourishment is haraam, so how can he dua be accepted?” (Muslim)
- Being uncertain while making Dua or being unsure of the Dua (or its reward) being accepted or not.
Dua is the strongest weapon. But it works only for those who try sincerely and seriously to use it. As a Muslim, we should never give up, because we have the ultimate weapon to counter our fears, depression, oppression, and adversity in the shape of Dua. The above-mentioned points are some of the mistakes that are made in Dua. May Allah guide us to the straight path and accept our Duas. Ameen!