Surah Baqarah is the 2nd Surah of Holy Quran which is the largest in length consists of 286 verses, considered the longest Surah of Quran. Surah Baqarah was revealed in Medina on Prophet Muhammad (SAW), so, it is a Madni Surah. Holy Quran is composed of different chapters all of them are the miraculous and divine origin. Some of the Surahs of the Holy Quran has significance on others due to some reasons Surah Baqarah is one of those special Surahs.
In Surah Baqarah, Allah Almighty introduces us to the Quran and tells us about three different types of people; those who will benefit from the guidance of the Quran, those who won’t, and those who are only pretending to be people of the Quran. The rest of the Surah is a beautiful blend of history, life lessons, and instructions. Surah Baqarah has various benefits and great rewards in this life and in the hereafter.
Benefits of Surah Baqarah
There are many benefits of Surah Baqarah some of them are mentioned below:
- In the house where Surah Baqarah is recited Shaytan will not enter. Abu Hurayrah (RA) said that the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “Do not turn your houses into graves. Verily, Shaytan does not enter the house where Surah Al-Baqarah is recited” (Tirmidhi)
- Surah al Baqarah helps to protect the person who recites it against the evil eye, witchcraft, evil whispers, and it also brings immense barakah into one’s time and overall peace in life.
- Surah Baqarah brings greater reward on The Day of Judgment and adds blessings in this worldly life. In hadith Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “Recite the Quran, for on the Day of Resurrection it will come as an intercessor for those who recite It. Recite the two bright ones, al-Baqarah, and Surah Al ‘Imran, for on the Day of Resurrection they will come as two clouds or two shades, or two flocks of birds in ranks, pleading for those who recite them. Recite Surah al-Baqarah, to take recourse to it is a blessing and to give it up is a cause of grief, and the magicians cannot confront it.” (Muslim)
- The last verses of Surah al-Baqarah are one of the most memorized verses of Quran among Muslims and it is for a good reason. In hadith Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “Whoever recites the last two verses of Surah al-Baqarah by night that will suffice him” (Bukhari)
- Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “Indeed Allah wrote in a book two thousand years before He created the heavens and the earth, and He sent down two Ayahs (verses) from it to end Surah al Baqarah with. If they are recited for three nights in a home, no Shaitan (devil) shall come near it.” (Tirmidhi)
In conclusion, we should try to recite the Quran in order to get a proper understanding so that we can act upon its wisdom by memorizing it. May Allah enable us all to bring His verses into our hearts and make them a means of illuminating our hearts, our lives, and our graves! Ameen