Ramadan is the most sacred month of the year also known as the month of fasting. Fasting is known as “Sawm” in Holy Quran which literally means “to abstain”. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said about the Holy month of Ramadan in these words: “When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of heaven are opened and the gates of hell are closed and the devils are chained.” Other than fasting Muslims also believe that in this holy month of Ramadan Quran was also revealed to Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
Muslims were commanded to fast in the holy month of Ramadan in the 2nd Hijri. In Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says about fasting in these words: “The month of Ramadan is that in which was revealed the Quran, wherein is guidance for humankind and the clear signs of guidance and distinction. Thus whosoever among you witness the month must fast…” (Quran, 2:184). Fasting has some purpose as Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said that fasting is a kind of shield that protects a person from sin and lustful desires. Other than this fasting teaches patience, and with patience one can rise to the high position of taqwa. We all know that Allah loves those who have taqwa in them.
During the holy month of Ramadan, Muslims abstain from eating, drinking, smoking, and sexual intercourse from dawn to dusk. Muslims are also supposed to restrain negative thoughts and emotions like jealousy and anger. They also lesser things like swearing, complaining, and gossiping, during the month of Ramadan. Some people may also choose to give up or limit activities like listening to music and watching television, often in favor of listening to recitations of the Quran.
Muslims have to make sure to restrict themselves from doing such things that would affect their fast. Many of us do not know about these things which can affect our fast. Below we will discuss all those things that may or may not break the fast during Ramadan.
Things that May or May Not Break Your Fast
Here is a list of such things that usually raise a question in our minds whether it would break our fast or not.
- Intentional eating and drinking, intentional vomiting, sexual intimacy between a married couple and vitamin injections, all these breaks a Muslim’s fast.
- Brushing the teeth using toothpaste and a brush is discouraged because the paste can reach the throat. It can break the fast of a Muslim.
- Masturbation while fasting breaks the fast.
- Taking nutritional injections does break the fast.
- Letting blood by means of cupping also break the fast.
- Kidney dialysis, in which blood is extracted, cleaned and then returned to the body with the addition of chemical substances such as sugars and salts etc. is regarded as breaking the fast.
- Using Miswak during fasting does not invalidate fasting.
- Eating, drinking or smoking unintentionally, i.e., forgetting that one was fasting. But one must stop as soon as one remembers and should continue one’s fast. It does not break the fast.
- Taking anesthetic injection for any medical procedure does not break the fast.
- Lying or swearing does not break your fast but it does reduce the reward of fasting.
- Smelling or applying perfume does not break the fast. It is permissible to apply such perfumes as long as one does not inhale it.
These were some things that can affect our fast all of us should know about them and try to avoid them in order to make our fast as it is required to do so. May Allah increase our knowledge and gives us the strength to make this Ramadan beneficial for us. Ameen!