Sleep is one of the best precious gifts or blessings from Allah (SWT). After a long tiring day at work, we need a peaceful night sleep. Before going to bed must do few good things daily at night just before sleeping to remember Allah (SWT) and to earn great rewards from Him. Doing these good, short yet powerful deeds won’t take much time and once it becomes a habit you will love doing it. These are the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet (SAW) and we all should follow the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (SAW).
We should make the habit of utilizing maximum the little time before sleeping in the remembrance of Allah as sleep is a form of death.
Things to do before Sleeping
Below are some things that we should do before going to bed if we want to have blessed night and earn great rewards from Allah Almighty.
- First of all recite بِسْمِ اللَّهِ(In the name of Allah) before closing the doors of the house, before covering utensils with food in them, switch off or turn off fires, light etc. (Bukhari)
- Make Wudu and before going to bed dust the bed thrice with the corner of your clothes. (Muslim)
- Sleep in a state of Wudu. (Abu Dawood)
- Sleep on the right side facing the Qibla with the right hand underneath the head just like a pillow with the knees slightly bent. (Bukhari)
- Recite the sleeping Dua- اَللّهُمَّ بِسْمِكَ أَمُوْتُ وَ أَحْيَ before sleeping.
- Recite Surah Fatiha, Surah Ikhlas, Surah Al-Falak and Surah Al-Nas 3 times then blow on your hands and rub on your whole body.
- Recite Ayat al-Kursi before going to sleep.
- At the time of difficulty when sleeping, Zaid bin Thaabit (RA) complained to Muhammad (SAW) of not being able to go to sleep at times and then He (PBUH) advised him to recite the following dua: اللَّهُمَّ غَارَتِ النُّجُومُ وَهَدَأَتِ الْعُيُونُ وَأَنْتَ حَيٌّ قَيُّومٌ * لَا تَأْخُذُكَ سِنَةٌ وَلَا نَوْمٌ يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّومُ أَهْدِئْ لَيْلِي وَأَنِمْ عَيْنِي
- This is the dua that should be recited if you turn over in bed during the night: لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللهُ الْوَاحِدُ اْقَهَّارُ، رَبُّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا الْعَزِيزُ الْغَفَّارُ
- If someone experiences a pleasant dream after sleeping and one’s eyes open then say: “Alhamdulillah”
- If one experiences an unpleasant dream then one should spittle three times on the left side and then recite three times: أَعُوذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ
- Always sleep with the intention of getting up for Tahajjud and Fajr prayer. We should try and pray Tahajjud every night as it is one of the best and most rewarding Nafil prayers one can possibly pray and makes it possible for a person to gain the top ranks of the Jannah.
- Say “SubhanAllah” 33 times, “Alhamdulillah” 33 times and “Allah u Akbar” 34 times before going to sleep.
- Recite Durood Sharif and don’t sleep on your stomach as it is the way of the people of hell and is not liked by Allah Almighty.
May Allah Almighty help us to do these good deeds consistently and give us the ability to wake up regularly for Tahajjud and Fajr prayer! Ameen