Salah is the 2nd pillar of Islam and one of the most emphasized upon elements in the Quran. Allah Almighty stressed upon Muslims to offer their prayers regularly five times a day. The first is Fajr prayer, then Zuhr, then Asr, then Maghrib and finally Isha prayer. Moreover, there are abundant hadiths of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) that show and signify the importance of prayers in religion Islam. Though all the prayers are of equal importance, however, in this article we will discuss the importance and significance of offering Asr prayer in the light of Quranic verses and hadiths of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
In the Holy Quran, Allah Almighty notably stressed to guard and care for the Salat-ul-Wusta (the middle prayer). Allah Almighty says in the Noble Quran: “Guard strictly (five obligatory) As-Salawat (the prayers) especially the middle Salat (i.e. the best prayer – ‘Asr)” (Quran, 2:238). Asr is the third of obligatory prayer and is offered at the time of the afternoon. There are numerous hadiths available that tell of the importance of Asr time and prayer. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “He who observes Al-Bardan (i.e. Fajr and Asr prayers) will enter Jannah.” (Bukhari)
The Asr prayer needs to be offered within its time. Not praying or delaying it from its prescribed time is a tremendous loss signifying the importance of Asr prayer. Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said in one of His hadith: “Whoever misses the Asr prayer, and then it is as if he has been robbed of his family and his wealth.” (Bukhari)
Benefits of Asr Prayer
Below mentioned are some benefits of Asr prayer according to Quran and hadith:
- The most important benefit of Asr’s prayer is to create a human mind that is only real Lord the only Merciful, the Rescuer and the Bestower for all of us is the Allah Almighty. In the Noble Quran Allah (SWT) says: “And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led a right.”(Quran, 2:186)
- Offering the Asr prayer is an opportunity for the Muslims to repent and return to the way of Allah Almighty. Allah (SWT) says in the Holy Quran. “……… and turn to Him repentant. He will cause you to enjoy a fair estate until a time appointed. He giveth His bounty unto every bountiful one. But if ye turn away, lo! (then) I fear for you the retribution of an awful Day.”(Quran, 11:3)
- Asr prayer is witnesses by Angels. It is narrated in hadith: “The angels of the night and the angels of the afternoon go to you. And they gather at dawn prayer and Asr prayer. Then the angel who guards you up to Allah Almighty asks them -and Allah knows their circumstances (His servants) -, “In what state did you leave my servants?” The angels replied, “We leave them in a state of being set up the prayer. So when we go to them, they are in prayer. “ (Bukhari)
- One who performs Asr prayer will enter into Jannah. Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “He who observes Al-Bardan (i.e. Fajr and Asr prayers) will enter Jannah.”(Bukhari)
- Those who perform Asr prayer will not enter into Hell. At another place, Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “He who performs Salat (prayers) before the rising of the sun and before its setting, will not enter the Hell.” (Muslim)
- The one who offers Asr prayer will get a double reward. In hadith Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: “This prayer (salat ul Asr) was ever obliged to the people before you, but they wasted it. So whoever keeps this prayer, hence for him the reward is doubled “ (Muslim)
- For every Muslim who performs the Asr prayer, it is given to him a reward by Allah Almighty. In the Holy Quran Allah (SWT) stated: “Those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers and regular charity, will have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve” (Quran, 2:227)
- Muslims who perform the Asr prayer are the believers. Allah Almighty says in the Quran: “They are those who are punctual in the performance of their Prayer.”(Quran, 23: 9)
- Asr prayer makes us become more discipline to ourselves and our life become more organized.
The above mentioned were some of the benefits of Asr prayer. Every Muslim must make sure to offer five daily prayers regularly on their specified time.