The Holy Quran is the greatest blessing of Allah Almighty not just for Muslims but all human beings. It carries great knowledge whether regarding the universe or about human life in general. Besides the enriched knowledge, the recitation of the Quran carries religious and spiritual benefits for Muslims. The Holy Quran is the literal words of Allah Almighty that He revealed as an infallible source of legislation for mankind. Being so important, the Holy Quran must be recited correctly, so as not to create any sort of ambiguity or misunderstanding. Allah Almighty addressed Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in the Quran, “…And recite the Quran with measured recitation.” (Quran, 73:4)
The Holy Quran is written in Arabic a sublime language which makes it apart from any of the writings in the world in general and Arabic in particular. The recitation of the Quran should be done in a rightful manner so that the true effect of the Quran can be observed and experience. That’s why the recitation of the Quran needs to be done with Tajweed. The Holy Quran should be recited in the light of the recitation rules and guidelines in order to add more charm of Quran and increases its effectiveness and impact on the heart. Allah Almighty says in the Noble Quran: “Those to whom We have given the Book recite it with its true recital. They [are the ones who] believe in it. And whoever disbelieves in it – it is they who are the losers.” (Quran, 2: 121)
The lines below discuss what Tajweed is,
the importance of it, and some ways in which one can learn Tajweed with ease.
Tajweed is an Arabic word linguistically means ‘proficiency’. It comes from the same root letters as the word Jayyid, which means ‘good’. Therefore, if Tajweed is to be considered with regards to Quran recitation, it means learning the Quran in the proper way by keeping in mind the requisites of Arabic language pronunciation. When every letter of the Quran is pronounced with proper understanding and the way it deserves to be recited, then we can say that the Quran is being recited with Tajweed.
Besides the very fact that the Quran should recite with Tajweed is the Sunnah of Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW), there are other purposes or importance behind the observance of Tajweed while reciting the Quran. The observance of Tajweed is the fact that the Quran is revealed by Allah Almighty. Hence, being His subjects it is important that we should read and recite the Quran in the very same way as He has revealed it. The recitation of Quran serves the fact that words do not change their meanings. Quran is in the Arabic language which is very sensitive language and any variation in the form of shortening or elongation of sounds results in a change in meanings. Therefore, observing the rules of Tajweed in reciting prevents the recitation of the Quran from making mistakes while reciting the Holy Quran.
to Learn Tajweed
Just like other types of learning, the
learning of Tajweed also required some ways that helps to learn it in better
and easy way. Below mentioned are some ways that can help in better learning of
- The first thing that needs to be done related to learning of Tajweed rules is finding a professional Quran tutor who is familiar with the rules and has command over them. Besides there are many books on Tajweed also available, especially the Noorani Qaida that is taught to students before teaching them Quran, however, despite all the books, the need for a tutor is essential. The tutor can help in teaching the rules to the students in the best and comprehensible manner.
- Nowadays there are numerous online Quran learning academies that teach Muslims the right way of learning and reciting the Quran over the internet. You can learn Quran with proper Tajweed from these online Quran academies. One of the best online Quran tutoring academies is Quranreading.com having experienced and qualified teachers who play a pivotal role in the learning process.
- Another ways is to find out authentic books written on Tajweed and then complement the teaching of the teacher with the learning from the book.
- One can learn the rules of Tajweed effectively by listening to the recitation of the Quran by experts.
- Another effective way of learning the Quran with rules of Tajweed is the use of Tajweed Mushaf. There are special copies of the Quran that contain the symbols and signs of Tajweed.
- The most crucial way that needs to be remembered and followed when learning Tajweed is practice. You need to practice every Tajweed rule that you have learned by applying it to every ayah of Quran that you read.
In short, the Holy Quran is the word of
Allah. If we change the word of Allah then He will definitely get angry with
us. May Allah Almighty give us the ability to read the Holy Quran correctly so
that we may get the mercy of Allah Almighty!